Friday, September 7, 2012

Words...

    My father was a preacher, I grew up with a brother who read the dictionary in his spare time, and I am told by my parents that before I started school I couldn’t wait to learn to read.  I grew up around words, was taught that words were important, and have used my fair share of them, but interesting enough, once I learned to read, the novelty wore off.  To put it bluntly, when I was in high school English classes “Cliff” was my best friend, and I lived by the mantra that “pleasure reading was an oxymoron.”
    Maybe it’s because I am on the cusp of a generation where video games, tv shows, and e-mails, the net, and computers became central to societal living, but I just didn’t like to read.  Did it have to do with the fact that I had to read so much in college?  Probably not.  Did it have to do with the many distractions that so easily permeate my mind and environment?  Probably more so.  Did it mean that I didn’t like to sit still, take the time, or even stop to reflect upon my own thoughts?  Probably a little of all of these. 
    The reality is that I didn’t appreciate reading until I was about to finish graduate school, and even then, and now, I still have to work at reading.  I read a lot at work, and so when I go home I usually want to simply veg out watching TV or catch up with the family, but that changed a few months ago when I bought a tablet.  It opened up the world of the Kindle app, and since then I often spend my spare time reading.
    I’m guessing it has to do with the fact that it’s electronic and I don’t focus on how much more I have to read before finishing, but for some reason I have picked up reading again, and it is a blessing.

    Being a preacher I am inundated with words.  Each week I read, interpret, and process words in preparation for the creation of something which might convey the story of God’s grace and truth to those hungry for hope, and as that process takes places a world is created which can be powerful and important.
    I’ve been thinking about words a lot this week for many reasons.  This society and time in which we live (November can’t get here too quickly) is one filled with words, and much of the message that is intended to dissuade and divide, rather than persuade and unite.  As the words roll off the tongue, spin is shared, and even untruths told without means of accountability, I’ve been amazed at how they create worlds, build walls, and even destroy lives.  As a Christ follower, it’s disheartening.
    If you want to hear a great commentary on this topic, listen to Barbara Brown Taylor’s sermon, preached at Duke Chapel this past Sunday.  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwFxmsWAiyI ) She addresses it well and puts it in perspective.
    The other reason I’ve been reflecting on the use of words is that a good friend of mine, former pastor and former parishioner of mine, now turned Life and Business Coach, uses words every week.  Bob sends out what he calls “Provisions,” (his company is “Lifetrek Coaching”) which he rightly names as his sermon for the week.  The provisions are coaching tips for life, business, and leadership, and they are sent out via e-mail to every corner of the globe.  In contrast to the news and politics, his words too create a world, only that world is intended for unity, love, and hope.
    Bob’s words have been placed on hiatus, because this past weekend his body began battling with itself.  Because of an auto-immune response he has had multiple seizures, and his heart stopped multiple times, which required the installation of a pacemaker (an interesting addition to one who has run multiple marathons and coaches marathon runners).  I, and many, are praying for his quick restoration, but one of the things that is grievous is the loss of his words right now.  This time, more than most, his word of hope is that which I need to hear.  They are words that the world needs to hear, for indeed words shape lives and create worlds.

    The writer, James, writes about the use of words in the first chapter of his writing.  He says, “Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires... Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless.”
    James understood the power of words, and through his advice gives us the opportunity to understand and live by the same.  It’s so easy to let words fly without remembering their power.  It’s so easy to forget that words shape lives and create worlds.  It’s so easy to neglect to ask ourselves the question, “What worlds am I creating through the words I use?”

    One of my favorite times to observe a child is when they first begin to speak.  Yes, crawling and walking are cool, but when one thinks about all that that child’s brain has to put together for the seemingly simple act of speaking, it is baffling.  And yet we know how easily that miracle can turn into that which can destroy or maim. 
    Though some today would downplay that words are important, and despite the old phrase about “sticks and stones not hurting,” words are important and can and do hurt folks everyday.  The blessing and the challenge to we who call ourselves Christ followers is, that we are called to use words well.  We are called create worlds of hope.  We are called to use Kingdom building words, for through them Christ is revealed.
    The way to do that, at least for me, is to try to remember that God knew all of this from the beginning, and because of this gave us the help we need.  The invitation is constantly given, turn to THE Word, let Him in, and let Him guide our hearts, feet, actions, and tongues.  When we do, the Word becomes flesh and dwells among and within us.

What worlds am I creating through the words I use?   
Is THE Word the guiding force in my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment