Friday, May 25, 2012

Living the Pentecostal Way


    My wife was raised by faithful followers of Christ in the Pentecostal Holiness Church.  I was raised by faithful followers of Jesus Christ in the United Methodist Church.  Though the “PH” movement grew out of the “Methodist” movement, when one begins to reflect upon these two denominations, one might imagine very different things.
    The PH church is often thought of a more conservative theologically but more liberal Spiritually.  Many lift it up as a place where they speak in tongues, the music is ole timey and lively, they dance in the aisles, and the preacher beats the pulpit, all of which for some PH churches can be true.
    Methodist churches, now called United Methodist Churches, are often thought of as more liberal theologically and more reserved when it comes to the Spirit’s movement.  Many see it as a middle class, middle of the road church that offers a little bit of everything for those who sing well, are mission oriented, and love structure, all of which for some UM churches can be true.
    When I first met my wife, I began to attend her church, and I will admit that many of the stereotypes of Pentecostals came to mind.  I confess that I was a little skeptical of their glossolalia (speaking in tongues), cautious of their theology, and even a bit reserved in opening myself up to many in the congregation.  I held on strong to my background and perspective, and resisted the urge to step in and fully engage, lest I find myself “sucked in.”  (Sucked into what, I don’t know, but it was just the way I was at the time.)  Interesting enough, the old adage began to come true that one should never “say no” or even “resist” God, because once we do, God will prove us wrong.
    As I spent time with the people of Ebenezer PH church in Nashville, NC, I found myself experiencing the Spirit’s movement in a different way.  There was a sense of God’s presence in their worship that was more consistent and obvious than I had often experienced in UM churches, and though I still disagreed with much of the theology, the preaching was centered in parts of the Bible of which I was less familiar. 
    The most powerful witness for me, however, was that those folks lived the faith in a different way than many UMs that I knew.  There was a palpable presence of the Spirit in more people’s day to day lives, than I experienced among “my own.”  And the message every Sunday always came back to “living life as one who was ready to die.”  It was a message that called all to the task of faithful living, day in and day out, as opposed to the demarcation of “faith and life” that can be so easily accepted by those in mainline denominations.
    I recognize fully that some of what I am conveying here are broad-brush generalizations, but for me, in participating in the life of that church for over a year, I found my faith enriched.  I was exposed to a different perspective of the Church, and I saw a different side of Jesus which instilled and solidified in me that this faith that I profess, is not just to be lived out in spurts and starts...or only when it was convenient...but is to encompass every aspect of life.

    This Sunday is considered the day of Pentecost according to the church calendar.  What many folks don’t know is that Pentecost was originally a Jewish Festival which celebrated the giving of the “Torah” to Moses on Mt. Sinai.  It was considered a Harvest Festival where God gave the first fruits of God’s love, and so God’s people respond by giving their first fruits.  Central to this festival was thanksgiving, then taking that thanks and applying it to their daily living.
    The scripture passage read in churches for Pentecost comes from Acts 2, and it is the story of the
Holy Spirit coming “as a mighty wind in tongues of flame.”  The Spirit infuses itself in the disciples, and they are changed.  They are so filled with the Joy by the power of God’s love, that folks thought they were drunk!
    The message of Pentecost is that when the Holy Spirit came, it lived in those disciples, but more importantly, it was here to stay.  That is, the same Holy Spirit was sent to be God’s tangible presence among, within, and around all people and places, and because of that gift, all are able to live by that same power, day in and day out.
    There are many churches that celebrate Pentecost as the birthday of the church.  Many recount the Spirit’s powerful witness so long ago, and many observe again the infusion of the Spirit in the life of the Church.  But one of the foundational and most vital messages of this high Holy day is that the Spirit is with us 24/7.  This is a great gift, but it is also a responsibility and privilege, for if the Spirit is with us all the time, so are we invited to live in and by that Spirit 24/7.

   
    I experienced much in my time worshiping with and living among the folks of Ebenezer, but what God taught and reiterated to me time and time again through them, was that we are called to live by the Spirit in all we do.  Whether it’s in church or in our homes, in public or private, at work or on the highway, we are called to live for God.  It is a “Pentecostal Way,” for which I am grateful.

Where in our lives are we tempted to separate God out of daily activities?  Where is the Spirit alive and leading you?  How are you effectively living the Pentecostal Way?

No comments:

Post a Comment